Residential Waste Collection

Garbage is collected in Falher by the Meston Group on Thursdays
and must be at the curb by 7:00 a.m. on the day of collection.

Residents are encouraged to recycle any recyclable waste material. Click here to see what materials can be recycled.

Waste Collection Process

Residents are required to wheel these carts to the curbside before 7:00 a.m.  Prairie Disposal will empty the carts using a garbage truck equipped with a compactor and an articulating arm; this arm grabs and quickly empties the carts and returns it to its original position, all without the operator leaving the cab.  This method will be faster and safer than the traditional manual collection method.

What NOT to do on collection day

  1. Do NOT overfill your cart. To ensure collection please make sure the lid is completely closed. Overloaded carts will not be emptied.
  2. Do NOT put these items in your cart:
    • Propane tanks, cylinders, or aerosol cans (recyclable at landfill)
    • Automobile tires (recyclable at landfill)
    • Lead-acid batteries (e.g. car batteries) (bring to Venture Parts)
    • Paints or solvents (recyclable at landfill)
    • Bio-hazardous materials (e.g. expired medicine) (return to drugstore)
    • Hazardous materials (e.g. pesticides)
    • Hot ashes
    • Ink cartridges (returnable to Staples)
    • Animal carcasses
    • Used oil, oil filters, gasoline soaked materials
    • Electronics (e.g. TV, computers, batteries) (recyclable at landfill)
    • Small appliances (e.g. microwave oven, toasters, etc.)
    • Household batteries (recyclable at Peace Citizen’s Recycling Society in Peace River)

Smoky River Regional Landfill

1.5 km northeast of Falher on Range Road 213
(780) 837-1859
Summer Hours (May 1 – September 30) 10:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Winter Hours (October 1 – April 30) 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Open every Tuesday and every other Saturday.

Landfill Tipping Fees

2024 Landfill Calendar

Recycle Items Accepted:

  • Electronic equipment
  • Televisions
  • Computers, keyboards, mouse, cables, speakers
  • Monitors
  • Printers
  • Paint
  • Car batteries
  • Tires
  • Chemical pails (Agriculture)

New Electronics Expanded Project










Please separate recyclable items from other non-recyclable waste materials.

Frequently Asked Questions

What happens if my cart gets damaged?
If your cart is damaged during normal operation, you may contact the Town Office at 780-837-2247 or email at There is no charge to repair or replace the carts due to damages caused during normal operation.A cart that sustains willful damage from the resident will be repaired or replaced at the expense of the property owner/renter.
Who owns the carts?
The carts will remain the property of the Smoky River Regional Waste Management Commission.
What if I move or sell my house – do I take the carts with me?
No, the carts remain at the residence, the cart does not move with the occupant. Each cart is assigned to a residential property and is marked with a serial number linked to the property.
Who is responsible for cleaning the cart?
Depending on how you use the cart, it may need to be cleaned from time to time. The owner is responsible for the periodic cleaning as required.
Can I use my cart that I have purchased?
No, the only carts that will be collected at the curb will be the carts as supplied by the Smoky River Regional Waste Management Commission.